Wednesday, December 8, 2010

On Strike

Owen is on a nursing strike !

It started 4 days ago when he bit me (with those pointy sharp teeth) I yelped out in pain and he burst into tears he really got a fright. And from then on he has refused to nurse during the day at all and only once overnight. If I offer during the day he bites me ! I checked his mouth and he is cutting another molar (tooth #13)and I think he might also be getting an incisor as well). After 4 long days (there has been lots of grizzling from Owen and anxiety for me) I am still holding on to the hope that he will take up nursing again, for me it is really significant part of our relationship. And he hardly drinks from his honey bear cup maybe 50 mls a day, not much, not enough in the hot weather we currently have. I have been giving him lots of fruit puree and wet foods to help keep his fluids up.
I have tried nursing him in the bath, nursing when he is drowsy after a sleep, nursing when he is tired and grizzly, he just wont' have a bar of it and I don't want to push it too much, I am just hoping that after these teeth finish moving he will come back into my arms and back to my lap.

3 comments:

  1. Awww, poor Owen. Russell is STILL not teething. Nothing yet that I can see anyway. I hope he nurses again for you, that is such a special part of spending time with our babies. I wish Russell had been able to nurse, he just never really grasped the concept...Made me sad for a long time because we didnt have those moments together. I still hold him everytime he has a bottle though.
    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucas went through this twice and at one point I had to start pumping to keep my supply. But he eventually started up again, I just had to be very patient and try not to get mad at him. It sounds like you are keeping up his fluids otherwise. Maybe talk with a lactation consultant?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have started expressing milk to try to keep up some kind of supply. Owen had one side this morning at 4 am then I rolled him over to have the other side and C..R..U..NCH!!! It drew blood, but some how I managed not to yell out and instead just said a very firm NO BITING! This is definately starting to wear thin.
    Lactation consult said to do lots of bare chest time with him (he loves this) but I am getting very nervous about letting him nurse those teeth are super sharp and pointy.

    ReplyDelete