Monday, November 8, 2010

EI how much is enough

From our government funded EI program Owen has had:
  • six 1 hour sessions of speech therapy in the past 18 months
  • Four, 1 hour sessions of OT in 18 months.
  • PT 1 hour about every 6 -8 weeks though we haven't had a session for months.
  • A hydrotherapy class for kids with disabilities is run every week for 1 hour (Owen LOVES this). Our attendance is sporadic though because of illness, school holidays and Owen sleep times changing over the past 18 months.
  • we also attend an Early Intervention Playgroup once a week- its a free-play session, some singing, and usually a therapist will also attend to answer any questions. Its not a great session, it always seems so disjointed.

Is that enough?

Well I know I don't feel very well supported by the formal EI program, I do feel I have to do it by myself, it's stressful and tiring - emotionally, physically and mentally.

In addition to the above we also:

  • attend a kindermusic session (30 minutes a week) I have taken Owen since he was a tiny baby, initally just in the baby harness but now he takes part in the lessons alongside his brother.
  • attend a Rudolf Steiner Playgroup on Mondays it goes for 2.5 hours lots of lovely sensory play, natural materials, rythmn, singing and repetition, both Cyrus and Owen are enjoying it. (this playgroup clashes with Hyrdotherapy so we are not doing hydro this term)
  • I have Owen and Cyrus to our private Osteopath/myofasial (?spelling) therapist for regular assessments since they were both babies (Cyrus has gross motor and speech delays)
  • I have done treadmill training with Owen from 10 months till about 13 months 5 days a week until we were all frustrated with it. But now that he is crawling well and has better core strength I aim to have him start again yesterday he did 5 minutes (30 meteres) stepping it out the whole time.
  • He watches the Your baby can read DVD's about 3 times a week (we aren't big TV watchers at our house) Owen and Cy both love the DVD's and can read quite a few words from them.

Then there is all the normal stuff you do with kids, play outside, in the sand pit, swing on the swings (everyday), sing to them, read to them, wrestle with them on the floor.

Is it enough?

Its all I can do.

Its all I know to do, at this time.

I wish there were more hours in the day

I wish I had more energy

I wish I had a crystal ball

so I could know

is this is enough?

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, "is this enough" a feeling I know all to well!! Some days I just get sad thinking Russell is more a "project" than my baby. But then I am afraid to not do those million things with him incase I screw him up, make him develop slower or something....I guess all we can do is keep going :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I think the therapies your government supplies are no where near enough, I do think that you are supplementing with other wonderful therapies! I think you are doing much more then we are for sure. I know I feel emotionally exhausted sometimes too but try not to stress over it, I know it seems like we have so much pressure but Owen is doing wonderful and you are doing wonderful!

    So you can get an idea of what we do:Lucas gets PT, OT, an ST once a week and I walk with him everyday and do oral motor activities everyday, we read and sing every evening and play all day!

    ReplyDelete