Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Pick a Color

So we had a therapy visit yesterday its been 5 months since the last time we saw them.
Owen Finally stacked those (#*%$ blasted rings for the first time - with ease, like he had done it 100 times before. His hands are tiny and it has always been difficult for him to grasp those thick, slippery suckers, but yesterday he blitzed it.

They asked what had we been working on and I said with honesty - "nothing" then feeling embarrassed I added "ummm I have been showing him the signs for different colours ! (phew relief, yes I had been "working") But then the therapist said well we don't expect colour differentiation until much later, do you think he knows any of the colours? Well honestly I have never tested him all I have been doing is showing him him the signs of the colours when we look at books - green grass, red flower etc. So the therapist holds up two of those pesky stacking rings, a red and a green ring and sayes to Owen "red where is the red ring" and he reaches out and chooses the right colour ! (but I am thinking okay there is a 50/50 chance that he will get it right. She does this with different coloured rings 3 different times and he gets it right 3 times ! And the therapist sayes "he knows his colours" and I can tell she is a bit shocked.

But in the back of my mind I am thinking this could just be luck) so when she left, Owen was playing with some toy cars so I hold up two, a red and a blue and ask him where is the blue car and he looks at both carefully and I can see him thinking, and then he reaches out and grabs the blue car and now I know for sure. He does know his colours because I have seen it in his eyes, I have seen his understanding. And I feel humbled that I even doubted him.

Owen you are Rockin it baby.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Go Owen go!! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Viv, I was just going to do a post on something similar...How Russell understands MORE than I think he does...that I have underestimated him and how smart he is. This post really moved me. Yaay for Owen!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah he's rockin it! So cool and I bet it was nice to see that surprise on her face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been trying to post a comment for a couple of days!! darn blogger! I love that Owen is full of surprise...I think our kids will continue to make us go YEAH!! I underestimate Maddie and think why??? why do I do this! but I know that it makes me think WOWSA! our kids wil ROCK this world...and change the perception that others have our community...smiles

    ReplyDelete