Monday, January 7, 2013

Give him a go!

Cy (Owens 5 year old brother) has been having trouble with counting objects, he makes mistakes because he often skips an object, (don't know what's going on there) so over the past week we have been practicing counting - we count everyday objects, cars, toys, biscuits, sausages ......
I am trying to keep it fun but, I would be lying if I didn't tell you he is frustrating the hell out of me!

So anyway while i am being frustrated by Cys effort, I turn around and there is Owen sitting there counting ..... deliberately, slowly and perfectly! He understands and can use one to one correspondence!! WTH?!

When we started out on this journey, I thought I would be the LAST person to underestimate Owen! I thought I would be his champion and advocate, shouting from the roof tops to let him have go...now I realize I do underestimate him.....and I realize what a blessing it is to have these two boys Cy and Owen so close in age (even though they don't get on that great) and even though it has me tearing my hair out most days, they learn a lot from each other (good and bad!!), and O gets exposure to things through Cy that I don't think he will understand yet...but maybe he just might.....
















2 comments:

  1. Just loved this :)...And you're right, you just never know how much he understands and how soon. Russell continues to amaze me, and then I always feel guilty because I must have been underestimating him without really realizing it.

    Great picture of your little guys too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! Way to go to everybody! Skipping numbers is something,,,it's not that they do not know they just seem to get in a hurry! Max is always getting to fast for myself!...love the pix so cute...summer looks really nice! Smiles

    ReplyDelete