Sunday, May 15, 2011

Myofacial Trainer and the Calender

I decided to hit the dentist with all 3 boys in the same week - which was efficient but mad. All of Owens teeth are finally through with the upper incisors finally pushing their way into place! Now he can't use teething as a reason for being in a Funk !!!

The dentist would like to start Owen on an Infant Myofacial Trainer in about 6 months time to expand his palate, straighten the alignment of his bottom teeth which are crowded and to get his tongue to sit up behind his front teeth rather flopping onto his bottom jaw. He doesn't' have a tongue thrust problem but he does have an open mouth position which the dentist sayes can lead to mouth breathing (he breathes through his nose at the moment). Mouth breathing is not great because it narrows the face and palate and Owens palate is very high already so that there is no "house" for the tongue. The trainer is meant to train the tongue and widen the jaw and palate and develop good breathing habits. The dentist has used it on their own child with great results, so I am willing to give it a try.

Also been very busy with my older 2 boys lately also with medical things nothing too huge but nevertheless worrying and time consuming. I am living by my wall calender at the moment, I can't function without it, I have to check it everyday to see what's on and I can't make follow up appointments unless I am at home and standing in front of it just so I don't double book. Roll on June - when it looks like things finally start to settle down..............................

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, never heard of that, I clicked on the link, it looks pretty interesting. I think it may be something I will look into for Russell in the future. He is a mouth breather. Since day one he has not breathed through his nose!
    Hope your other boys are ok and life slows down for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man...j is a mouth breather. Hope things settle soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. I'm pretty sure Lucas mouth breathes at least half the time because his lips are horribly chapped.

    I know just how you feel about the calendar too! Hopefully you'll get the R and R that you need soon.

    ReplyDelete