Thursday, May 26, 2011

Heart Day

27th of May 2009
My little angel, they took you away from me today to fix your heart.
I handed you over and when I saw you again I didn't recognise you, you were so swollen and covered in tubes and wires and I held my breath because I could tell you were not with us. Death sat quietly waiting in your corner of the room and I realised that Death was not a cruel malevolent spirit waiting to snatch you away, but instead is a silent watcher, and it was waiting for YOU to make a decision whether to live or to pass, and if you decided to pass then Death would sweep you up gently and guide you there.



On the third day after the operation I walked back into PCIU after a having a break and nothing had changed, you were still on life support, still on the same drugs, still had a pacemaker telling your heart when to beat but I could tell just by looking at you that you had decided to LIVE, you were BACK and death had left your corner of the room because it was not needed anymore. From that moment you went from strength to strength and slowly but surely the tubes came out, the medication decreased and the pacemaker and oxygen were finally removed.


Our first cuddle with your mended heart (one happy mumma)




27th of May 2010
One year later and you were THRIVING we call you Chubb-Nut because you are so pudgey and squidgy and fat.


(nibbling on your heart beads; one bead = one procedure )

27th of May 2011
Here you are today, just amazing, what an incredible gift those surgeons gave us that day 2 years ago, an opportunity to see you grow and experience the joy you bring to our family. I love you sweet heart and thankyou for the choice you made.



(your so proud of your heart beads !!)


Loving your life !
















2 comments:

  1. Oh, that first picture made me burst into tears...I cannot even imagine how you must have felt seeing your baby like that. You "Heart Mamma's" Have so much strength!
    And just look at this boy now!! What a sweetheart! I just love his beautiful smile and how his hair flips up at the ends, too cute!!
    Happy Heart Day Owen! Lots of love from me and Russell :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez Viv, made me cry too. It must have been so emotional and difficult, I can't even imagine. So glad to watch him grow, even if it's over the internet!

    ReplyDelete