Saturday, June 5, 2010

Tai Chi Hands



Owen he has what the Ped calls a "habit spasm" its like he gets a moment of too much tone if he is overexcited, overtired or frustrated - he rolls his eyes to the top of his head and stiffens his legs and arms and groans - it is somewhat upsetting as he is doing it alot at the moment. He has also started rocking when he is sitting, he has his legs out in front and hands on his thighs and rocks. He also loves to look at lights and loves to watch his hands and it looks like he is doing Tai Chi.

I have never seen or heard anyone else talking about strange behaviours of their kids with DS and I worry that Owen has something else going on like autism.

In other areas (except gross motor skills) he is progressing well he has over 10 signs, is vocal and communicative and has reasonable fine motor skills. How do I manage these behaviours - should I interupt him when he is doing it or is that rewarding the behaviour ?
I have been wondering do all or alot of babies with DS have these strange behaviours? I have heard it said that people with DS can have autistic like behaviours without being autistic and still be very capable and independant - just quirky.

I waver between not worrying about the "quirks" and being in a panic about them - it probably depends on how much sleep I have had !


1 comment:

  1. I waver between worry and panic myself. I have heard that it can take several more years then a typical child to diagnose autism. I think though that most kids with delays will have some quirkiness. I wouldn't worry.

    ReplyDelete