Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Celebrity Status

Owens dad (Col) went to the shops last night to get a few things for dinner, he wasnt' gone long he took Owen with him. And for the first time he really noticed people staring at baby Owen and then looking away - You know the look I mean.

It hurt his feelings, it made him defensive, it made him feel the weight of social judgement of Owen and of himself.

I call it our "CELEBRITY STATUS" people seem to notice us now and some strangers stare in a "trying not to stare kind of way" and when you meet their eyes they quickly look away. I imagine its what celebrities face when they too nick to the shops for milk and bread. Yes its hard to get used to, I know with time we will develop thicker skins, with time we will become immune to the stare or we just won't care anymore - imagine that !

In the mean time at least there's no photos to document our bad hair days, tracksuit pants and muffin tops !

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. Sometimes people stare trying to figure out what isn't quite right about Lucas. It doesn't bother me as much anymore and I don't notice them as much, unless they are totally obvious.

    ReplyDelete