Saturday, June 5, 2010

Baby Wearing




I have an Ergo baby carrier nowas Owen is nearly 11kgs ! I have been through 3 different carriers intially he was just in my arms then he went into a sling then a front pack with his legs dangling down andnow the ergo (his legs wrap around me I have carried him all his life - but a lot less now that he can sit and play with toys.

When he was born 6 weeks early he used to have apnea events, he would turn ahorrible dusky blue but I found that by wearing him he would not have theseturns as often and if he did I just had to jiggle him and he would remember to breathe.

Then when he was 6 weeks (adjusted) he went into heart failure I carried himall the time and we slept together - I think it was comforting for both of us. After his open heart surgery he got RSV and we were in and out of hospital (between july and october last year) but I found that being upright in thebaby carrier helped him to shift the mucus in his lungs and I could keep aclose eye on how well he was breathing and if he needed ventolin.

And the baby carrier has allowed me to keep up with Cyrus (they are just 16 mths apart).

I think there is just so much sensory input when you wear a baby -the movement, the deep pressure and warmth of your body on theirs, the sound of yourvoice and heart - good for any baby but especially for our baby's with DS.

I am a convert (can you tell) LOL. I have never worn any of my other babies but I wish I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment