Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Umm a few to many reps ?

Owen has always had a few quirky behaviors which have changed over time

Before he was mobile he used to stare at the back of his hand, like he was checking out a manicure, he also had what the doc called a habit spasm sometimes when he was sitting or laying on his back he would suddenly stiffen and roll his eyes to the top of his head, sheesh at first we thought it could have been seizures but we took a video to the paed (it took 4 days of trying to get a good video of it and then Owen did it as we sat down in the paeds office)! and he confirmed it was "only" a habit spasm. Later when Owen was bear crawling and he would be in the downward dog yoga pose he would drive any toy close by through his legs while putting his weight through his head and one of his arms. Once he started walking he lost this quirk too.

But at the moment I can't leave him outside for more than 5 minutes alone or else I find him "dusting" he loves to see the dust clouds billow up from sweeping the dirt under our deck or out on our driveway, I always tell him it's dirty and to stop and then try redirecting him, he is always easily distracted from his dusting but just as quickly goes back to it if I am not directly engaging him, so sad and maddening to see him trying to sneak back, I can't leave him unattended.. And inside if there is any sunshine streaming through the windows he will blow raspberries of spit into the light to watch them splutter out and fall, again I redirect, but often I just shut the blind to stop him doing it. And recently I notice he spends way to much time lying on the floor to drive cars back and forth close up in front of his eyes.

........ He's visually stimming right?

Scary shit. Really scary.

my resting heart rate is double what it should be, it makes me feel sick to think these behaviors might mean O has autism.

Or maybe it's just a DS thing right? ........or maybe not........

He is still his sweet self, still hates giving kisses or hugs...... Booow boooom (oh does random people at playgroup count?)

I am analyzing everything the kid does, eats, sayes........glimpses of that diagnosis trapdoor threatening to open..........again

4 comments:

  1. i've been told that as long as they are easily redirected, it's nothing to worry about. rachel has been doing some weird stuff to and i think it's Ds related. i think our kids hit an age when all this weird crap starts, really. right now she spits on things, like her arm or a toy and then smears it. and she is rolling around on the floor. just bizarre. or taking her food and tapping it on her head. argh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. he sounds so boy!! I know hard to like and take...but Max LOVES to make dust clouds...right on my heels all over and we both get dirty and he gets in trouble! I to analyze everything and its ok...you are his mama!! and a great one at that! smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg, Viv, you have never mentioned this to me before!
    It's so crazy but just this past week I have noticed Russell doing strange movements with his arms or with his face, kind of like tics or something...And its hard not to let your mind race to Autism...I know I am overly paranoid...At least I hope that's all this is. I swear since we first heard the words Down syndrome all the security I have ever felt left, and now I feel ANY thing can happen...To the point where I know I over analyze everything.
    Try not to worry yet...I know, easier said than done...Some of the things you mentioned here Russell does too...You love Owey, so its normal for you to worry...But don't let it take over :)
    Shoot me an email if you feel like talking more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All kids do weird things. Lucas used to lick the bottom of his shoes and I worried over it endlessly but he got over it. Lucas also plays with cars close to his face as do many boys his age and younger. Try not to worry. I do think kids with Ds have more sensory issues and it doesn't mean autism. I think it has more to do with the low tone and just needing more input then the average child.

    ReplyDelete