Sunday, April 15, 2012

Reps update

So i just wanted to write down just what I have been doing with Owen during the past few weeks (re previous post).

I got him a little spray bottle so he can squeeze a mist out, rather than dirt or spit. He can work the spray bottle (building up his finger strength) while doing something that seems more purposeful, we sprayed the concrete, leaves on the bushes etc and still getting his visual fix of seeing the mist in the sunlight. We tell him to blow or whistle the moment he starts to do spit raspberries and it is working well, he loves the sound of whistling and stops pretty much right away.

If he goes under the deck to throw dirt and make dust clouds I entice him out by asking him to come and blow bubbles with me, the bubble mix is now stationed right at the back door so I can get it quickly, he comes out from under the deck pretty much right away now. I think the bubbles still meets his visual need, and it is so much better than him stirring up dust clouds for himself, we interact, we connect, he works his lips and breath control, makes me feel so much better!

Finally the last thing, I got some little plant pots we had left over and showed Owen how to fill them up and let the sand pour out the holes in the bottom of the pot, we used the pouring sand to fill up the toy trucks, he llikes this activity, Again I think it meets his sensory needs but its nice and CLEAN , lol

After writing the post about Owen playing in repetitive ways and how anxious I was feeling that he may develop/slide into autism, I finally went to bed. As I lay there, in the darkness I thought more about it and came to just one conclusion - that all I can do, really all I can do, is LOVE him right here, right now, TODAY ( because how much control have I got to stop the organic process of autism ? None! )

And I have enjoyed him so much over the past few days.

He seems lighter to.

It all seems to be paying off, because he is getting easier and easier to distract from those repetitive habits, he even smiled at me the other day when I found him under the deck (again), quickly signed "bubbles" and came out to me without me even asking. Yes he got his bubbles. Cheeky monkey.

2 comments:

  1. You have thought of some excellent ways to redirect him from those behaviors!! Love the spray bottle and bubbles idea. And you are so right Viv...All you can do is love him, right here and right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you just ROCK!! you are one hell of a GREAT Mama...I mean really this is amazing and how you are using positive redirection is brilliant...I am so glad you can sleep...I am so glad that you have found these tools..I will have to use them! great job...and HUGE HUGS! smiles

    ReplyDelete