Friday, October 7, 2011

Gobbeldygook to you?

For all the joy and delightfulness, the surprises and the laughter sometimes, sometimes I wonder if I am fooling myself.

There have been a couple of moments this past week when Owen just looks at me when I ask him to do something, granted they have all been new tasks for him - when I realise he doesn't' understand what I am asking, I have to guide, hand over hand and show him what I want him to do. Its all simple stuff like - put your cup in the sink - that kind of thing - and he doesn't' get it.

Then I make excuses - like he probably doesn't even know what the sink is - just that I am chained to it for part of the day (we don't have a "real" dishwasher).

And I think I have been upping-the-anti lately, I am expecting more of him, but maybe I am expecting too much and I have to slow down a little, take it step by step. Its just he seems old enough and clever enough in many respects to understand and yet if its new it just doesn't click CRUNNNNCCCCCCH everything comes to a screaming halt. I am afraid, its the intellectual disability thing again, what does it mean for MY SON.

I guess on the positive side he does catch on quickly once shown/guided on how to do something new - he puts all his dirty tissues and wet nappies in the bin when I ask him to and has been doing that for ages. But its a bit like living with someone who doesn't understand English, they are perfectly capable of understanding what to do once shown but if you just gave them verbal direction alone they are lost.

We dont' know any kids with DS under the age of 11 here, so I don't know if this is a normal thing for our kids, I want to know its normal but I am terrified its not !

Ahhh, sometimes this ride is just like a wild roller coaster.

Anyway I don't' want this to sound like I am not enjoying Owen at the moment because I am he is just so delightful or that I am struck down with fear about intellectual disability because I am not, I know it is part of his life, of our lives. But when he doesn't understand, like I think he should, it is like a sharp reminder of it and I would be lying if I said it didn't hurt or worry me.

Tomorrow we are going do the 5.5hour trip up to Brisbane to see the orthopedic podiatrist for a review of the boys orthotics and Cys night splint. Col found this cool looking bed and breakfast to stay in, so it will be like a mini break for us 2 nights away.

Cy has finished his course of antibiotics yesterday but Owen is still going on the Uber ones - we see the ENT surgeon here in Armidale on Thursday for the post op review so I have my fingers crossed that both boys will be well, things are looking good right now and it is obvious that both are hearing so much better. Yahoo didgeridoo!

3 comments:

  1. I could have written this post! I've been doing the same with Lucas. I ask him to go put this in the trash and he looks at me like, "huh?" I wonder too if I should work more with him with commands and vocabulary? I don't know Viv, it worries me a little too.

    Enjoy your mini vacation! Hope both boys are in the clear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get this post...I sometimes think the same thing of Maddie...she looks at me with a blank stare like she is not getting it...most times a few days later or even weeks she will get the task I have asked her to do...Maddie observes everything...and then mimics at a later time...but never immediately...this scares me...and I to wonder intellectually where she is at...and this is my biggest fear...her mental capabilities...this is when I think Down syndrome...cannot help this thought...and this is one thing I do not take in stride...YEAH for a mini getaway...hope you all enjoy yourselves...and everyone is on the mend! smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's normal. rachel is that way too. she just doesn't get it. just recently when we point at something she might actually follow our finger to what we are pointing. there are only a few verbal commands that she understands. i try explaining this to people when they told me to make rachel "help" me with the baby by telling her to get the diaper and so on....yeah, she doesn't understand that. i can't just tell her it because she doesn't "get it." she isn't like a normal 2 year old in that respect. and you saying it's like talking to someone who doesn't understand english is totally correct.

    ReplyDelete