Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Finally on water

After mixing fruit puree in water for what must be a year, I was so worried about O's teeth I thought I should try some thickeners instead and I dont' know if it was just coincidence but Owen seemed to have stomach pains by the end of the day when he was just having thickened water, so I decided to ditch it and just try straight water and to my surprise he has done really well with it, still a bit of coughing every now and again but nothing like before where he coughed with every mouth full.

What I notice is this if I offer him a drink he almost always ends up coughing but if I just let him drink when he wants he deals with it fine, spoke with the SP about this and she said its sounds like dyspraxia - if he has to conciously think about drinking (when I offer it to him) it doesn't' happen in a fluent way, if he is not thinking about it and just guzzles it down because he is thirsty he does great.

With practice, over the past 2 weeks Owen has gotten better and better with drinking water through a straw - good riddance to those bloody fruit purees and to thickener and cheers to healthly teeth too !

2 comments:

  1. Lucky you! I am so sick of thickeners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH!! I bet he is loving his independence and his choices...I bet it is nice to go somewhere and be able to just get something to drink with a touch of thickener...and healthy teeth rock! smiles

    ReplyDelete