Thursday, March 17, 2011

Letting go a little at a time

The backstory is that I tried to start Cy at preschool at the beginning of the term ...it was a disaster. This poor kid is just not ready.

I feel that he has had to hang on to me during these last 2 years instead of, as it shoud be, me holding, cradling him. So he has become very attached to me, fragile and sensitive, to the point where he will cry for me even if he is at home with his Dad (which drives Col nuts).

So it has made me realise that what this one needs most is more time, not less with me.

So as of next week Owen will start at family day care one day a week with a beautiful carer who just happens to know a whole lot of sign language (BONUS!!). The last 2 weeks we have spent a morning with his carer getting to know her, the routine, the other kids - all the other children are the same age (about to turn 2), it all seems to look okay, well better than okay it looks perfect for Owen.

So Thursdays will become Cydays.

I am thinking visits to the art gallery, coffee shops, library, cake baking and walks to the park to feed the ducks. Long (uninterrupted) conversations and holding hands without having to perch 12 kgs on my opposite hip. So looking forward to it !!

Of course there is the other side to this coin which is I am leaving my baby, my most vunerable one. I feel that he will take it all in stride, he has an easygoing nature like his older brother, but it will be the strangest thing to leave Owey with someone else - it is a huge milestone but one I think he is ready to met (not so sure about ME)

Photos from our visits

we started out with some morning tea - mmmmm


Cy cooked up some pizza (I dont think I have ever seen this expression on Cys face before - must have been one-of-those inbetween faces the camera captures~ weird.)


Owen loves to do these handstands and drive a truck, ball, playing cards - anything between his legs like tunnel ball we played at school


Little Picaso


2 comments:

  1. Haha...Love that upside down stance!! Its funny what positions kids can play in! I think a day devoted to Cy sounds PERFECT! Something he will always remember, alone time with his mom :) And Owen will be just fine, although I imagine it would be very hard to leave him anywhere, I would feel the same way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always hard leaving our children in another person's care whether it's daycare or preschool. We were lucky because my mom is the preschool teacher in our district and Nat could not wait to start school. Now next year may be another story when she starts kinder with a different teacher.

    I think both kiddos will be ok too and it's so nice to spend a whole day alone with Cy. I wish I could do something like that with Nat but we'll have to wait until summer.

    ReplyDelete