Thursday, April 14, 2011

Is he walking yet?

Is WHEN a person with DS walks important?

Or rather, my question is - If they walk "early" does that mean that their cognitive ability is better? Our Doctor told me it doesn't matter when Owen walks it doesn't indicate anything about his cognitive ability. But as a parent I think it would have been somewhat reassuring if Owen had walked within a typical time frame, say around 18 months as some kids with DS do (and some even earlier). And I found when that time frame slipped away and steps were still a long way off that it hurt me, I was filled with self doubt (had I done enough, the right things blah blah blah). I had dreamed of him walking around the toddler pool in the summer time and helping me in the garden watering the vegies. But Summer has left us now and Autumn has all but come and gone and I've had to keep adjusting my "mental milestone calender". I was so sure he would be walking by winter time because I couldn't imagine another winter with a crawling baby - through frosted grass and wet ickky mud - AGAIN. Now I don't want to take anything away from my beautiful boy he is enjoying taking 4 steps in a row and crash tackling me but there is no way that he will be walking by the end of this month and we just had our first frost I have been a slow learner, Owen will do things in his OWN time not mine and he WILL get there and we WILL enjoy strolling around the garden and watering vegies - I should have thrown out that milestone calender years ago.

so why cling to it?

To be honest I think its the intellectual disability thing, it still scares me and it would have been so reassuring for me if he had walked earlier both from the point of view of having felt like we have done enough for him with regards to therapy and also because it may have given me some hope that cognitively he would do well also. I wrote a post about a woman with DS who lives around the block from us who has her licence and drives a (the get away) car, well her mother stopped me in the shops a few weeks ago and asked me how Owen was doing or rather - Was he walking yet? and when I said No hes still a way off walking she said to me - "oh well Megan walked at 17 months she has always done well", and I deflated like a balloon -pppptpttttttttttttttttth. I am pretty sure that just like in typical people the age at which you walk has nothing to do with our other abilities but this encounter gave me the feeling that it did matter.

Urgggh I don't know sometimes when I write things out like this I see how pathetic my fears are, how shallow and how easily hurt I am. What I want for all of my children is for them to be loving, caring, gentle souls who know right from wrong and who treat others (and themselves) with kindness and respect. Not sure if the age you walk has ANYTHING to do with those qualities but I am pretty confident they have nothing to do with them ......whatsoever.

5 comments:

  1. Ok Viv, I wanted to tell you what my Ds developmental books says and I hope it makes you feel a little better. I think 17-18 months to walk for a child with Ds is pretty early. My book says "Walks Alone - average age 23 months, range 13 months to 48 months." And if it makes you feel any better, I feel exactly like you when it comes to speech with Lucas. Average age for first word is 18 months. Lucas is just now saying "hi" and "bye". Now most people are shocked when I tell them his age because he still babbles like a baby. I feel like they are looking at me like "what's wrong with him, what's wrong with you?" So, yes, I'm sensitive too and I don't think that will ever change when it comes to my children. But I agree with you, when Owen walks is not a determining factor of intelligence or abilities. That other mom has obviously forgotten how it feels to be a new mother to a child with Ds, she could have been a lot more sensitive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh...The "mental milestone calander"...I struggle with that! And THIS post describes exactly what I am feeling right now with Russell. Its not that I want or need him up and walking right now...But in my mind this is when I expected it to happen. I thought Ok, there will be delays, but surely by a year and a half that will be "delay" enough...Next week he turns 17 months old... 17 months!! I think now as he gets older and older it hits me more and more...I need to throw out my mental milestone calander too!
    Its really good to know you feel the same way I do...Thank you for posting this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not even close to being at that point so I can't really give you an words of wisdom, but I have thought the same things!

    And I can assure you, no fear you have is pathetic or shallow. Not even a little. so please don't think that! It's good you have fears for your children. If you didn't, then that would mean you didnt worry and if you didn't worry it would mean you didn't care. :) Fear is just another way to care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your fears are NOT pathetic! they are reasonable..and I have them..Maddie is not walking either and she turns 2 in a couple of weeks! I think the developmental charts suck! but I seem to have a love/hate realationship with them! I asked our OT the same thing does it amtter when she walks? she said NO...it has nothing to do with anything...Maddie is good in other areas and is mastering those things...fine motor, dramatic play so on....so just know that I could have written this post...I feel the same way...and it DOES NOT make it any easier!! but I am thinking about you! smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so value all your comments and see from them that I need to be a little gentler with myself. thanks V XX

    ReplyDelete